Monday, July 29, 2013

The Secret to Recruiting Volunteers - "Ask"

I worked at an association that had a large chapter network with each chapter managed by a roster of volunteers. These chapters nearly offered as many member benefits as anything the association had to offer. The more active chapters in smaller geographic areas had little difficulty recruiting the volunteers they needed to offer varied and desired programs. Many other chapters struggled to find the basic volunteers they needed so 3 or 4 people were not doing the work of 6 or 8.

When we had a national meeting of these volunteers, 250-300 of them, we decided to change things up.  At the end of the day we had a conference version of speed dating.  The volunteers were divided into various meeting rooms.  The senior staff and national officers would move from room to room.  We had 5 minutes to share some bit of information with the volunteer leaders in each room.  The topic I chose was “Recruiting Volunteers”.

I started my remarks by commenting on how I am a very active volunteer and always have been. Sometimes I saw an opportunity and offered my time and services and sometimes the volunteer leaders of an organization pursued me. I focused my remarks on the latter.  This one particular organization was trying to recruit me as a volunteer.  Each time I was asked I turned them down as I was busy with work and had a full plate of volunteer activity with no desire to add anything more. Still, each year, this organization approached me and was always cordial and respectful when I turned them down.  After several years and several attempts, I finally agreed. Nine years later I still devote a great deal of time to this organization with absolutely no regrets.

So where am I going with this?  In an effort to attract and recruit volunteers we send out e-mail, write articles in our newsletters and place promotional messages on our web site but to this day the best way to recruit volunteers is to personally ASK prospective volunteers.  Remember, your response to being turned down is as important as your response to an acceptance. It worked with me.

I concluded my remarks with a humorous and true story.  I had served on my local library board of trustees for many years. In addition to serving as treasurer of the board I chaired our 50th anniversary celebration, I co-chaired our renovation and expansion fundraising committee, and then chaired the ribbon cutting program.  At one point we had a vacancy on the board.  I recruited a friend who turned out to really enjoy being on the board and he became a very good volunteer. Several years into his service on the board he had spearheaded a special project which won us a statewide award from the state library association.   Upon sharing the news with me our library director said, “recruiting Bill onto the board was the best thing you ever did for the library”. I was insulted and honored all at the same time.:)

Don Sciolaro
D E Solutions
desciolaro@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment